Monroe County Courthouse History
Since its formation in November of 1819, Monroe County, Tennessee has constructed four courthouses on the courthouse square. The Monroe County Courthouse has suffered two fires. The first courthouse was a log structure that burned during a fire in 1832. The next courthouse was a frame building that was burned in 1864 during the Civil War. Because of this, some records, especially marriages, deeds, and county court records may not be available. The third courthouse constructed was a brick building, but soon did not meet the needs of the community and was torn down in 1896 to build the present courthouse. The current courthouse was completed in 1897. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its Romanesque, Classical Revival, and Italianate Architecture. The Archives are located in the basement of the courthouse.